Working With The Animal Totems
Spirit of Hummingbird: Messenger of Joy, Beauty, Love and Timelessness
Hummingbirds's Wisdom Includes:
* Ability to heal by using light as a laser from mouth
* Endurance over long journeys
* Ability to fly into small places to heal
Hummingbird: messenger, timelessness
Hummingbird - the tiniest of all birds - brings special messages for us. It is the only creature that can stop dead while traveling at full speed. It can hover, or can go forward, backward, up or down. It lives on nectar and searches for the sweetness of life. Its long tongue lets it bypass the often tough and bitter outer layer to find the hidden treasures underneath. Hummingbird is loved by the flowers and plants, for as it sucks the nectar from the flower, the plant reproduces and more of its kind are created. In many traditions, Hummingbird feathers have been prized for their almost magical qualities. It is said that Hummingbird brings love as no other medicine can, and its presence brings joy to the observer.
If you have Hummingbird medicine, you adapt easily to whatever situation you may find yourself in, and make the most of your new circumstances. You don't waste time looking back and wishing for "what was" for you are concerned with making the most of "what is". Also, you could never become addicted to any artificial stimulants, for you find joy in your own heart. You take great pleasure in spreading joy and love and beauty to all around you, and have the gift of taking that inner joy into new and different surroundings. You have a talent for finding the good in people, and are not put off by a gruff or abrupt exterior, for you know that, if you can only get beyond that tough outside layer, you'll find goodness and beauty inside. You may have a gift for working with flowers, maybe growing them to share with others, or using flower essences for healing. Aroma therapy may be your calling. You have high energy and a spirit that must be free. To restrict that wonderful, free, loving energy is to suffer great depressions and feelings of uselessness. Hummingbird must fly free in search of beauty, spreading joy and love to all it touches.
Unlike other birds who gain flight power from the down-stroke, hummingbirds find much power in the upstroke as well. This allows them to flap their wings 50 times a second making it a blur. This is helpful since their feet can only be used for perching. Because their breathing, heart rate, and body temperature are so high, they must feed every 10 minutes, consuming 2/3 their body weight daily.
Hummingbird's feathers are prized in many traditions, for their magical qualities.
Hummingbird comes when we need to spend time soaking in the love of nature so we can learn how to integrate joy into our lives.
Unlike other birds whose flight power involves the down stroke of their wings, the hummingbird use the upstroke as well. In fact, their wing movement is in the form of an infinity symbol, which is not surprising since they're often symbolic of eternity and infinity.
Because the hummingbird's heart rate, breath rate and temperature are so high, they must feed five to eight times every hour.
Many species of hummingbirds migrate long distances. The Ruby-Throated hummingbird travels 2,000 miles from Panama to Canada. The most remarkable part of this migration is that they travel 500 miles non-stop across the Gulf of Mexico.
* To live in the present moment and take notice of all the beauties in life.
* Strive to accomplish that which may seem impossible.
* To find purpose and meaning, even in the most mundane tasks.
* The importance of having an open and balanced heart chakra.
* To handle the twists and turns of life with grace and dignity.
* The hummingbird can also awaken us to the healing properties of herbs and flowers.
* In Hopi and Zuni legends, the hummingbird intervened long ago with the gods to help bring rain to humans.
* The Aztec god of the sun was called Hitzilophochti, or Hummingbird from the South and is often depicted as a hummingbird.
* In a Mayan legend, the hummingbird was the sun in disguise, trying to court a beautiful woman disguised as the moon.
* In some Caribbean cultures, hummingbirds are believed to be the souls of departed loved ones.
* In many different cultures, the hummingbird is seen as a messenger between worlds.
* So the next time you see a hummingbird, let it be a reminder to stop and take note of what is truly important in life. Let your spirit celebrate with the lively, tenacious spirit of the hummingbird.
Bridget ... thanks so much for both your lovely comment and for the beautiful hummingbird graphic! I love it! I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying the TT site! Thanks for being here and for all your support and enthusiasm! It is very much appreciated! The picture below is a fractal hummingbird .... hope you enjoy it! :-) Have a great week! :-)